We hit the ground running with handwriting expectations at the beginning of the school year. After spending the first few weeks reviewing our letters and how they are formed, we then move on to discuss the expectations for our handwriting.We started off creating an anchor chart together. I told my students that we were going to make a chart with the same word…written 3 different ways. I also let them know that every letter in the word has to touch either the cloud, fence, or grass on the handwriting lines. We talked about how letters in words do not float in outer space…they all have a place on the handwriting lines. After drawing the grass, fence and clouds…they told me which writing earned 1 star, 2 stars, and 3 stars, with 3 stars being the best. After rating them, we discussed why each word got that many stars. We talked about how everyone’s best work looks different…but that 3 star handwriting is what our GOAL is for 1st grade.
Hi, I'm Michelle Hudgeons! With over 15 years of experience in education, District Teacher of the Year, & Campus Teacher of the Year, I am here to help you create fun filled learning where every student is excited to learn!
Happy Friday friends! I am home with a yucky stomach bug today. It has hit our family and my classroom! Gross! I wanted to share a few October-y things we…
Last week we reviewed cause and effect with the story The Three Little Pigs by James Marshall. After listening to it, we listed the different causes and effects from the story and…
Hi friends! We have been super busy this week…and it’s only Tuesday! We have our STAAR testing this week, which I will be administering… so I want to make sure…
Happy New Year friends!!! I finally wrapped up my Stachin’ through the Snow packet. I was hoping to get some science and writing in the packet, but it just didn’t…
I wanted to drop in real quick before I pick little man up from daycare and take Priss to Gymnastics! This week is our second week learning about vowel teams….
Who’s already prepping for their back to school week?!? One of my very favorite things about the first few weeks of school is getting to know my students,….and my students getting…
Meet Michelle
With over 17 years of experience in education and honors such as District Teacher of the Year and Campus Teacher of the Year, I’m here to help you create a fun-filled learning environment where every student is excited to learn.